Thursday, March 18, 2010

Catharsis

Managing two kids' sleep is SO hard... if you are obsessive about it like I am...

Today we had to get to Target, Old Navy, Home Depot, and the post office. There is one shopping center about 10 minutes from home with every one of these stores, with the P.O. about 2 minutes away. Everybody was up late this morning so I figured we could do it all before nap. Not so much. We RACED around each place and still poor Noah had to skip his morning nap to make it all work out. I absolutely feel like an awful mother when he is worn out like he is right now. Daylight savings time really wrecked his schedule and I am not helping matters by trying to cram all of our errands into a few hours out of the house.

Natalie is at an age where every trip out of the house, disrupting her imaginative play, is a giant battle. And Noah hates getting in and out of the car seat. I keep wondering why I get so tired every night by about 8:30 p.m. - but then I remember that both Tyler and I are basically working six day weeks. I am the lucky one because I get to spend time with the two most adorable and wonderful kids ever, and I get outside, and eat balanced meals, and if I don't get a shower first thing in the morning I can sneak one in later that day... but still, being the only one six days a week means I kiss away a lot of tears, pick up and put down babies constantly, prepare and feed 54 different meals a week (plus snacks) (for one infant who eats a few finger foods but mostly purees, one toddler who has never been made to learn to use utensils but who basically wants cheese in all its forms at every meal, and one mom who is doing her level best to finally lose the baby weight), make endless trips up and down the stairs with two kids in tow, and clean LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of food off the floor. Sundays (and a 2nd tear-dryer, baby-holder, and cleaner - who also happens to be my best friend) feel like heaven... also, woefully, so short.

But having been on the other side - cramming all of my mom time into Saturday and Sunday - I know that Tyler and I would not have it any other way. Nothing is more precious to me than the chance to spend this time with my two babies.

Sometimes I might complain and sometimes I might kick myself over a sleep schedule which is all messed up... but they are healthy and happy and we are all so very very lucky.






Someone's first birthday is approaching (5/1). Someone else starts preschool in September. It's a reminder that they are both growing so fast. Things really aren't so bad after all.

**I know that two kids really isn't so much - but this week has been a long one so I needed a little catharsis**

2 comments:

Sarah Dempsey said...

Julie, we're living such parallel lives ... right down to the boys' same sleep sack and pjs! We have the best jobs, even on the most difficult days. I love you and miss you! Sarah

pl said...

They are so cute, and it IS hard work! You are doing a fabulous job. Just let your sister do some of the errands as I am always driving around anyway.